Mesa Lodge was organized by military and civilian personnel stationed or working at Sandia Base and at Kirkland Air Force Base.
The Sandia Masonic Club was organized November 9, 1949. Grand Master John W. Hall granted a dispensation for a lodge November 30 and named Charles L. Smith as Master. The original members came from many jurisdictions; six from New Mexico, two each from Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas, California, and Ohio and one each from Virginia, Louisiana, New York, Alaska, Arkansas, Oregon, Michigan and Guam. The Grand Master set the lodge to work the same evening. A buffet dinner was served by the wives of the new members to about 100 Masons. The officers of the other three Albuquerque Lodges and Grand Lodge officers filled the little room to capacity for the dinner and the ceremonies.
The Grand Master gave the officers the obligation of fealty. His address to the new members charged them with the responsibilities they were undertaking.
The charter was issued March 21 and the lodge was set to work March 30, 1950, by District Deputy Master Charles J. Koch. The first elected officers were Temple J. Daugherty, Harvey Hesson, Joseph E. Ellis, Russell W. Summicht and Fredrick E. Blake. The new Master appointed Neil Wreidt, Harold C. Boger, Jack G; Himes, Clifford M. Michael, Jules Wetekamm, Ford R. David, and Warren H. Stoneberger to other offices.
A new Masonic hall was constructed at 538 Dallas S.E. with a large lodge hall, kitchen and dining room and plenty of parking space about the lodge. Donations and lots of work on the part of members were involved in the new structure.
George F. Wright, Jr., Past Master of Mesa Lodge, is in the Grand
Lodge line and holds important committee assignments in the Grand Lodge.
From the original 25 members in 1949, Mesa Lodge had grown to nearly 700 in 1975.